Schmuck the Buck by EXO Books LLC
Illustrated by Karina Shor
Genre: Humor, Satire
About the book:
Schmuck the Buck introduces Larry, a young Jewish reindeer. He overcomes his awkward and sometimes painful youth to save Christmas. His tale of acceptance and inclusion is sure to warm the hearts of anyone who loves Christmas, Hannukah, or both. A unique modern addition to any holiday library.
*EXO books provided this copy in exchange for an honest review.*
RATING: 5 STARS
So y’all better hold onto your seats because I am about to drop the coolest illustrated book I have ever read.. everyone meet Larry ‘Schmuck’ the Buck!!
All goofing aside, I’ll be honest when I say I have never reviewed an illustrated book before, especially one that’s dedicated to Christmas. And so I have to thank the wonderful author of this book for graciously sending me an e-ARC.
Now, I’ve never been the kind of person who liked illustrated books even as a kid. But I gotta tell you, I ABSOLUTELY enjoyed reading this book and would recommend it to everyone.
So what I did I love about it?
Here are 10 reasons why you should read Schmuck the Buck or gift it to someone.
- IT RHYMES. Call me shallow or whatever, but I loved the rhyming in this story. Too childish? Think again. I believe this book was made to be enjoyed by older kids, but most especially by adults.
Meet Schmuck the Buck, just a regular caribou
He liked to eat grass and then chew and chew and chew
Yet he and his kin happened to be the sole
Jewish reindeer living in the North Pole.
Schmuck was bullied and treated the worst way,
Until his brilliant plan saved one Christmas day.
- THE ILLUSTRATION IS RAD. Is that such a 90s term? But it’s the first word that comes to mind when I think about Karina Shor’s illustrations! It’s just so cool, guys. So cool. I wish I could post some images for y’all, but I can’t. So better purchase that book!
- A LESSON TO BE LEARNED. Schmuck doesn’t just show us humor, but it reminds us adults and teaches the much younger population that bullying is bad. It gets you nowhere! Respect is still the best possible thing we could give each other. Schmuck also teaches us that problems can’t be solved by panicking and fighting, something that us adults need to remember CONSTANTLY.
- DIVERSITY. Guys, Mr. and Mrs. Claus were illustrated as POC! How cool is that?! Also, Mrs. Claus was a total hottie (so improper, sorry!) and Mr. Claus was also Mr. Cool Cucumber after that Christmas fiasco. And need I say more about Schmuck and his family? They’re Jewish! How many Jewish reindeers do YOU know, huh?
- HUMOR WITHIN HUMOR. The rhymes are already funny but couple that with Karina Shor’s graphics? I was giggling like a loon all 20 minutes of the time it took me to read this. It’s just so hilarious.
- A BREATH OF FRESH AIR. As a book reviewer, I come across a lot of stories that are really hard on the heart so encountering stories such as this one that just lifts up your spirits, is truly a gem in my opinion.
- SIMPLE. It’s always nice to go back to the simple things and enjoy less complicated stories. I mean, of course you know it’s going to be a happy ending, but you have fun reading it anyway.
- HEARTWARMING. Schmuck is the cutest thing EVER and I just wanna give him hugs and several Christmas sweaters! He’s so pure and honest and I feel like we all need someone like him in our lives.
- I’M EXCITED TO SHARE IT WITH EVERYONE. Because I had SO MUCH fun reading it, I want to spread the joy to all of you too!
- SPREADS THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT. Of course, at the heart of everything, Schmuck the Buck is still a Christmas story—embodying the spirit of sharing, giving, acceptance, and love, and is a perfect ode for the Christmas season.
Please, please grab a copy of Schmuck the Buck. For more information, visit the links down below! 🙂